Presented by Mark Looker, Looker Communications Consulting www.lookercomm.com
Wednesday, Oct. 14, 2009 Central Valley Public Relations Organization (CVPRO)
A few simple tips:
· Budget. Rule of thumb is $1,000 per one minute of finished video.
· Creative Comes First! Think about “Why” your organization wants to produce a web video. What results do you want to achieve?
· Know Your Audience. Craft your message to that audience.
· Think about the images you want to capture and the message those images will project.
· Script writing is very different from press release writing—fewer, simpler words needed.
· Short is good - -videos more than five minutes in length will not be as well watched.
· Pick a production company that makes the effort to understand your needs.
· Local is good—Modesto area has a lot of good video production companies.
· Consider the location for the film shooting –get outdoors if you can.
· Who will speak for your organization? The one with the biggest title may not be the best spokesperson on camera.
· Post production. Be hands-on. Ask a lot of questions no matter how dumb! Insist on quality
· Distribution. Don’t just post it to your website. Send out link via email to supporters and media. Use Twitter, Facebook, MySpace to aggressively push out your video.
· Self-promote. Send out press release announcing your video with embedded link; write an article for your newsletter.
· Analyze results. Did you achieve the results you wanted? You can quantify through “hits” but it’s also very subjective.
Examples of web videos produced for my clients:
* A basic "Who We Are" video for the California Poultry Federation. (5:31) (Barbosa Video) http://www.cpif.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=61&Itemid=77
* A promotional video for WUD annual convention (3:22) http://wud.telefeed.com/#wud-convention (Alexandria Perrin post production. Shot with Panasonic DVC-30 digital camera by Mark Looker)
* 2009 Almond Tour video (Alexandria Perrin) (Approx 4 minutes) http://vodspots.com/almondboard/
* California Milk Advisory Board videos http://realcaliforniamilk.com/people
* Dairy Goddess Video blog http://dairygoddess.wordpress.com/
* Modesto Rotary Club Membership Drive (5:36 )(Never Boring Films) http://vimeo.com/6798976
* Doctors Medical Foundation promo video (:50)(Never Boring Films) http://vimeo.com/4516143
* Funny local political commercial (:50)(Alexandria Perrin) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzO2qn18mEM
Web Video Production Companies Resource Guide
Never Boring Design
Barbosa Video Services
Sean A. Stencil
2842 Iowa Avenue, Modesto, CA 95358
Final Cut Media
Modesto Junior College Plankwalker Studios
Carol Lancaster Mingus , MJC TV & Film Dept. Instructor